Friday, July 24, 2009

The waiting game

It's that time of year. Jersey tomatoes are at the market, tempting me with their ruby color and sweet scent. Alas, those in my garden are still green. It feels like an eternity since I first saw those little beauties start to pop up on the vines. And still, no red fruit.

I'm already planning for a bountiful harvest (and really hoping they don't all ripen just in time for me to leave on vacation next weekend). Of course, freezing tomato sauce is an obvious choice. But I'm also thinking about experimenting with chili and gazpacho. I hope I still have some cucumbers left on the vine for making the later. That would be such a thrill for this first-time gardener to make gazpacho with tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers all from my own plot of land.

No comments:

Post a Comment