Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Two fun summer treats

I started this post thinking I would just write about my Auntie Janette's Zucchini Bread recipe, but on the same page of my recipe book is another fun summer treat, Pineapple Angel Food Cake. So, as I haven't posted for a few days, today we'll offer a two for one deal.

I suppose most of us have a family recipe for zucchini bread. Once this abundant veggie starts to ripen, you'd better have some plans in place for using it all. I like to add it to green salads and pasta sauce, but my favorite use is my Auntie Janette's Zucchini Bread. Toast up a nice thick slice and add a schmeer of cream cheese and you are talking about one tasty treat. And, it's a health food, isn't it?

So, if you have some zucchini sitting in your fridge and you're just not feeling inspired, try whipping up a loaf, or two, or three...

Auntie Janette's Zucchini Bread
Cream together:
3 eggs
1 c. oil
1 1/2 c. sugar (or less, depending how sweet you like your bread)
2 c. grated zucchini
2 tsp. vanilla

Add to above and mix well:
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon

stir into above:
2 c. raisins
1 c. nuts

pour into loaf pans a bake at 350 deg. about one hour, or until done.

-----------------------------
The second recipe comes from my Weight Watcher days, but it's good and it's easy and I still enjoy it, though I'm no longer counting points.

Pineapple Angel Food Cake
1 pkg. of 1-step angel food cake mix
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple in it's own juice (do not drain)

Mix above and pour into non-greased 9x13 pan (glass pan works best). Bake at 350 deg. for 30-35 minutes. Cut into 12 servings. (for those of you counting, it is 3 points per serving).

Another variation is to make these as muffins, using cupcake papers. Mix together, as above, dividing between 36 muffins (1 point each) or 24 muffins (1.5 points each). bake at 350 deg. for 12-15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Christine, very nice choices for a lazy grandmom who has mislaid (z-bread) or never copied (pineapple cake) two tried and true goodies. Grandma Karen

    ReplyDelete