Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summer corn salad with cilantro vinaigrette

This afternoon the Woodbury Farmer's Market hosted a corn recipe contest, judged by Dominic Polidoro, local chef-owner of The Spot. As mentioned in an earlier post, I have been eagerly awaiting this contest (especially since I originally thought it was scheduled for last Thursday).

It was a real challenge for me to develop a recipe I felt was good enough to impress the judge. At his restaurant, Chef Dominic uses seasonal ingredients to create a menu that is fresh and inviting. While I love some of the menu standards, I have found that it is hard to go wrong ordering one of the daily specials.

So, here it is. My award-winning (2nd place)...

Summer corn salad with cilantro lime vinaigrette
For the salad, mix together in a medium bowl:
3 ears corn, cooked and kernels removed
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 red onion, diced and soaked in an ice water bath for 5 minutes, then drained
*Note: my original version also included 1/2 cup black beans. Add them if you like, I think it's a nice touch.

In a mini food processor, blend together for the dressing:
1/2 c. cilantro
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
1 Tbs. fresh lime juice (approx. 1/2 lime)
1/4 c. sour cream
1 chili pepper (or less, depending on type of pepper and how much heat you like), ribs and seeds removed
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Add 1/4 cup of dressing to salad and toss. To serve, you will need 6 cleaned and dried butter lettuce leaves and 6 sprigs of chives. Wrap about 1/2 cup of salad in each leaf and tie with a chive sprig. Drizzle a little more dressing over the salad-filled lettuce wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment