Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Taco Tuesday: Citrus-marinated grilled chicken tacos with simple guacamole


In the fall, Colleen had a school project about family traditions. One of the questions she had to answer was "if you could create a new tradition for your family, what would it be?" After a short moment's thought, she smiled and announced..."Taco Tuesday".

I have to admit, some weeks I just have no more inspiration for dinner ideas. Luckily, Tuesdays are figured out. Tacos! Or, some variation that includes nachos...her real goal with this tradition. I guess Nacho Tuesday didn't sound as catchy. 

We've started branching out from the traditional beef tacos. I've used rotisserie chicken from the grocery for chicken tacos. One week I made enchiladas. (See previous post for recipe).

This week I had some chicken breasts in the fridge that I wanted to use. On top of that, the weather is warming up and the days are getting longer, so I feel the need to fire up the grill. Here was my "a-ha" moment...I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Citrus-marinated grilled chicken breasts: tacos tonight and chicken for lunch sandwiches/salads for the week. Even better, I have a ton of limes on hand, so I juiced two for the marinade. And used another one for the accompanying guacamole. Love it when a dish comes together like this!

Citrus-Marinated Grilled Chicken Breasts

Note: I let the chicken marinade over night and had great results... Tender, juicy, tasty chicken.

Another note: I added the cumin on a whim to try and add a little heat and make the chicken more taco-appropriate. It could have used more. Don't know if 1 Tbs would be too much, but will try that next time).

Directions: In a container large enough to hold your meat, combine the following ingredients. Close the lid (be sure it seals!) and shake. Then add your chicken breasts -- or shrimp would probably taste good -- and re-seal. Shake again to coat the meat. Marinade in fridge several hours or overnight. Grill to taste.

Ingredients:
Juice of 2 limes
Splash (approx 1/4 cup) orange juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 sweet onion, minced
1-2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbs white wine or champagne vinegar (I happen to have the champagne vinegar)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and fresh ground pepper

Simple Guacamole
Mash 2 or 3 avocados with a fork. Add juice from 1/2 lime, 1 clove garlic (minced), 1/2 jalapeƱo (diced, seeds and ribs optional based on heat preference), 1 handful cilantro (minced), salt to taste. Stir together and serve with tacos, nachos, enchiladas, sandwiches, salads, or whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment