Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve Party Time

New Year's Eve is my favorite excuse to try out those "splurge" recipes I collect throughout the year. You know the ones -- sounds delish, but maybe a little more effort or cost than your average Friday night get together warrants.

We have a wonderful tradition of ringing in the New Year with a group of families from our neighborhood. Each year we put the kids in their jammies and head over to the host house (taking turns hosting means each year is a little different... it helps keep it fresh and special). The days leading up today had texts flying back and forth with preparations... should we fry up wings? what dessert are you bringing? do we want to make a punch? I'll bring pepperoni bread... are you making your famous crab dip? Anticipation for a night of fun fills the air.

So here we are on New Year's Eve Day and I still haven't decided what to make. Yes, I'll do the standard pepperoni bread. My kids love it. But what will my "splurge" recipe be? I think I've narrowed down the choices. Hmmm. Now only to make a decision and get cooking!

Option 1: Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp w/ Bourbon BBQ Sauce (Food & Wine)

This sounds like my kind of appetizer. Shrimp, prosciutto, bourbon. Ok, really, you had me at bourbon. Yes, bacon-wrapped li'l smokies are always a fan favorite, but this takes it to a whole new, grown up, taste-sensation level.




Option 2:  Whiskey, Caramel, Marshmallow and Bacon Bark (endlesssimmer.com)

Here's a decadent dessert option. I already make what we call "cracker candy" which is saltines, butter, sugar, chocolate and almonds. It's simple, yet amazingly addictive. I am quite intrigued by this version. Will New Year's Eve be my incentive to finally try it out? And, I'm starting to notice a theme here...



The other evening, we enjoyed a mini food tour of Philadelphia. The night found us enjoying burgers, frites and beer at Eulogy; tapas and sangria at Amada; and fried plantains and margaritas at El Vez. It was a wonderful night spent with good friends. Each of these restaurants offers "slurge"- worthy inspiration. But in keeping with the bacon/prosciutto theme, I've found this recipe for bacon wrapped dates with almonds. Always a favorite treat when at Amada.


Now, if only I could make a decision. Guess I'd better head to the grocery store and see where that leads me. 

Whatever special foods you enjoy tonight, Happy New Year's! Here's to a happy and healthy 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment