Thursday, August 27, 2009

Roasted Tomato Soup

It looks like a bomb went off in my kitchen. Today I brought two entries to the Woodbury Farmer's Market tomato recipe competition. I've prepared one recipe for the competition before and with a little encouragement from Colleen thought I was up to the challenge of two.

Other than using every bowl, spoon and knife in my collection, the endeavor was a success. Only one of my entries placed today, but how can I complain when my Roasted Tomato Soup received first place? Apparently the soup category was "hotly" contested. It was anyone's guess as to which of the soup entries Chef Dom (of The Spot in Woodbury) would pick. Here's his choice for the "blue ribbon."

Roasted Tomato Soup
2-3 lbs. plum tomatoes
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 roasted pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs. fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried
1 Tbs. fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Halve tomatoes and place skin side down in baking dish. Drizzle with approx. 2 Tbs. of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast 30 minutes, flipping tomatoes after 20 minutes. Once cooled, puree roasted peppers and tomatoes and pan juices in a blender or Cuisinart.

In a soup pot, heat 1 Tbs. olive oil and saute garlic for 1 minute before adding chicken broth, spices and roasted tomato and pepper mixture. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream. Adjust seasonings and serve with french bread croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment